St. Patrick’s Day Fun at the Tram!
Date: March 16th
Cost: $4 to $10
Please come join us at the tram lower station while the Shamrock Run is underway. We’ll have a range of fun activities for the whole family: face painter, balloon maker, $10 tram T-shirts for coloring, puzzles, crafts and tram tours from 10 am to 2 pm. All children under 6 years of age ride for free.
The tram hours are 7:30 am to 5 pm, March 16th, 2014.
Spring Break Tram Tours
March 25th to 27th
April 8th to 10th
April 15th to 17th
Time: 2 pm to 4 pm
$4 price of one roundtrip ticket includes a tour of the control and motor rooms. Remember, kids six and under ride for free with a paying adult.
Children’s Day at the Tram!
March 29th, 2014, 12 pm to 3 pm
Cost: $4 to $10
Bring the kids for some fun at the tram with the following activities: facer painter, balloon maker, photo booth and tram T-shirt coloring. T-shirts are $10. All children 17 and under ride for free with a paying adult. We will also offer tram tours from 12 pm to 3 pm, included with a one $4 round trip ticket purchase.
Zidell Marine Corporation Goes BIG
Next time you are up in one of the tram cabins, take a look just north of lower station. You will see what looks like a building with its west end open to the elements. What you are looking at is the largest barge Zidell has ever put a torch to. Sure, it is big but once you see the specs below, its true size becomes even more impressive. By way of comparison, one tram cabin weighs a mere 13,195 pounds.
Thank you to Hilary Alter for providing the information to The Portland Aerial Tram.
- 27’ high (to the top of the deck)
- 422’ 3” long
- 76’ 8” wide
- 6 million pounds of steel used to build the barge – that’s enough steel to build about 2,000 cars
- The construction of the barge will take about 18 months (summer 2014 completion)
- Roughly 75 welders, fitters, foremen, crane operators and designers needed for the construction process
- The barge will gold 83,000 barrels of cargo (equivalent to 3,486,000 gallons – that is enough to fill 5.25 Olympic size swimming pools)
- To carry this amount of cargo on land you would need about 415 semi-trucks or 116 rail cars
- The piping system above and below deck contains 1,260 feet of pipe (the length of 3.2 football fields)
- The empty barge weighs 3,000 tons and it has room to store up to 12,000 tons of diesel oil and gasoline
- Loaded to maximum capacity it will weigh about 15,000 tons
Tram Closed, Monday, February 17th.
Happy birthday, President Washington and Lincoln.